Policies P through Z


Under what conditions can I take a course on a Pass/Fail basis?

An undergraduate with either a 3.0 GPA for the previous semester or a cumulative GPA of 3.0 may elect one course a semester to be taken under a pass/fail grading system, subject to the advisor's approval and the following conditions. The course must be an undergraduate course that is clearly designated on the Study Plan or the Application for Candidacy as an "extra" course not to be used to satisfy the requirements for the degree.

What is the mechanism by which I sign up for a Pass/Fail course?

A student may elect "Pass/Fail" as a grading option for an "extra" course by submitting a Change Grade Basis request through Workday.

back to top →

Physical Education (P.E.) Requirements

All students who entered in or after the Fall 2008 semester must complete a minimum of four semesters of Physical Education (P.E.) in non-repeating courses. No credit or grades are awarded for P.E. classes. A large number of activities are offered in lifetime, team, and wellness areas.

Students may enroll in more than the minimum required P.E. credits and are encouraged to do so.

Participation in varsity sports may be used to satisfy up to three credits of the P.E. requirement.

Participation in supervised, competitive club sports can be used to satisfy up to two credits of the P.E. requirement, with approval from the P.E. Coordinator.

Students who entered before the Fall 2008 semester should come to the Office of Undergraduate Academics to discuss their P.E. requirement.

In all cases, students must complete at least one P.E. course that is not a varsity sport and not a club sport.

back to top →

Readmission After Withdrawal

If you have withdrawn from Stevens and now find that you would liked to return, you must apply for readmission through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Undergraduate students must apply for readmission within 7 years from the date of withdrawal from Stevens. An undergraduate degree must be completed within 12 years of entrance to Stevens. 

back to top →

Repeated Courses

If I repeat a course, does the new grade replace the old grade in my GPA computation?

The new grade replaces the old grade for purposes of calculating the graduating GPA. However, the earlier attempt of the course remains on the transcript with the grade earned as well as a note indicating that the course was repeated. The ranking GPA is computed using both grades. Please note that if a course that has been passed previously is retaken, and a grade of F or W is recorded for the retaken course, then the course is considered as passed using the previous grade in the graduating GPA calculation.

When a student receives transfer credit for a course in which the student has received a grade at Stevens, a grade of C is used for that course in the student's GPA computation regardless of the actual grade received either at Stevens or at the other school.

Is there a limit to the number of times a course can be repeated?

("Three-Tries-and-Out" Rule) The faculty has adopted a "three-tries-and-out" rule for repeating courses at Stevens. The rule states that each course which is a part of a Bachelor's degree program must be passed in no more than three attempts. Grades of W or F constitute not passing. Students unable to meet this requirement must select a program for which the course in question is not a requirement or they must withdraw from Stevens.

back to top →

Reduced Load Plan

What is the Reduced Load Plan?

The Freshman Option permits students to take one fewer technical course for each of the first two semesters.  The courses are made up tuition free during the summer immediately following the freshman year.  The deadline to sign up is the start of the second semester.  To register for the tuition free courses, students MUST visit the Office of Undergraduate Academics during registration to complete Change of Enrollment form(s).

The Reduced Load Option reduces the student’s work load in each semester by lengthening the time from entrance to graduation from eight to ten semesters.  Students who are accepted into the Reduced Load Option receive full tuition waiver in the 9th and 10th semesters.  The waiver of full tuition does not extend beyond the 10th semester.  The deadline to sign up is the end of the third semester for engineering students and the end of the second semester for all other students.

Students may elect to change their participation from the Freshman Option to the Reduced Load option after their first two semesters.  Students who elect to make this change forfeit the free summer classes offered through the Freshman Option.

Continued participation in the Reduced Load Option is contingent upon maintenance of curricular program that does not exceed “reduced load” status for the appropriate field of study while paying the current full semester tuition.  Explicit in this condition is a forfeiture of the student’s right to exercise the “extra course” provision.  This forfeiture does not prohibit students from pursuing certain program enhancements such as minors following specific approval from the Office of Undergraduate Academics.

It is the student’s responsibility to complete all applicable financial aid forms.  Students are strongly urged to contact the Official of Financial Aid for details.

Students may elect to dis-enroll in the Reduced Load Plan. No students who dis-enrolls will be permitted to re-enroll at any time in the future. Students are entitled to one free summer course for each term during which he/she was enrolled in the Reduced Load Plan provided the student was not on a reduced load due to academic probation. The free course(s) must be taken in the summer immediately following dis-enrollment.

How do I find out more about this plan?

If you wish to sign up for or discuss either option in more detail, contact the Office of Undergraduate Academics at 201.216.5228, or stop by the office on the 9th floor of the Howe Center.

back to top →

Return from a Leave of Absence

Students wishing to return from a leave of absence must submit the Request to Return from a Leave of Absence form.

The request must be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Academics at least one month before the start of the semester and may take up to two weeks to process. (Academic Calendar can be found on the Registrar's website.) The return process may also require clearance from other departments on campus such as: Counseling/Health Services, Bursar/Financial Aid, and others as applicable. 

Reverse Transfer

For more information regarding Reverse Transfer, please visit the link below.


Satisfactory Academic Progress (Academic Financial Aid Eligibility)

What are the academic requirements for Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is the minimum standard that a student must meet in order to maintain academic eligibility for financial aid. There are two components to the attainment of SAP: the first is a requirement for the number of credits accumulated and the second is a Grade Point Average (GPA) requirement. For a description of the requirements for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), please see the Office of Financial Aid website. All students' status regarding SAP is routinely monitored at the end of each Spring semester.

Note that students who do not meet SAP may be placed on SAP probation for a MAXIMUM of one semester.

back to top →

Science Elective Requirements for Engineering Students 

Engineering students may be able to choose their two required science electives. For a complete list of courses, please click here.

back to top →

Senior Option

Can a senior take a make-up final exam to improve a grade?

Seniors, with the permission of their instructor, may take make-up exams for any two examination courses in their senior year in which they received a D or an F. Seniors attempting to improve a grade for a fall semester course must complete the make-up exam within two weeks after the beginning of the spring semester. Seniors attempting to improve a grade for a spring semester course must complete the make-up exam by two days before Commencement. Please note that this is intended by the faculty to be a make-up of the final examination, not a make-up for the entire course.

back to top →

Special Degree Programs

There are a number of special programs available to students, depending on their area of study. A student planning to enter any of the following special degree programs should discuss their plans with their Faculty Advisor and the Office of Undergraduate Academics.

Simultaneous Degree Program (see “Double Degree”)

The Simultaneous Degree Program permits a student to complete the requirements for two degrees, scheduling and extra credit rule permitting. A student may complete a bachelor’s and master’s degree in four years. Two bachelor’s degrees (any combination of B.E., B.A., and B.S.) must be completed simultaneously. A student must take at least 24 credits over and above their first bachelor’s degree in order to earn a second degree. Students who have completed the credit requirements for the primary undergraduate degree earlier than the fourth year of study may not be eligible for some undergraduate federal financial aid.

Double B.E. Degree Program

The Double B.E. Degree Program enables a student to earn two B.E. degrees, but the students must satisfy all of the requirements in both concentrations; this includes two Junior and Senior Design sequences. In addition, the student must take at least 24 credits over and above the first B.E. degree. Students who have completed the credit requirements for the primary undergraduate degree earlier than the fourth year of study may not be eligible for some undergraduate federal financial aid.

4+1 Bachelor’s/Master’s Program

Students are selected for the program at the time of admission to Stevens. Students will be notified of their acceptance into this program prior to April 1st of the senior year of high school. Students must confirm their participation in the program. Students will be required to have a minimum 3.2 cumulative GPA at the end of their sophomore year to remain in the program. Students in the program must complete their bachelor’s degrees in four years. The students will receive their master’s degrees upon completing the graduate degree requirements in the fifth year. Students in the fifth year will have graduate student status subject to the full-time graduate tuition. Students will receive a scholarship equal to 20 percent of the graduate tuition in the fifth year. Qualified students will apply for admission to a specific master’s degree program in their fifth semester. The application starts with a screening process by the Office of Undergraduate Academics. Students are recommended to take two or three graduate courses towards the master’s degree before they complete the bachelor’s degree. Graduate academic advising will be done at the department level and each department will appoint a faculty member to serve in this role. All students in the program will be required to have an approved master’s study plan by the end of the spring semester of their junior year.

Stevens Scholar Program

(Students entered Fall 2014 and earlier)

The Stevens Scholar Program offers qualified students the opportunity to either participate in undergraduate research or pursue an accelerated program leading to a dual Bachelor's or a Bachelor's/Master's degree in four years.

Students are required to maintain a GPA of at least 3.20 to remain in the Program and to graduate with the Stevens Scholar designation. 

For students entering Fall 2015 and after, please see information on the Pinnacle Scholars Program.

back to top →

Student Athlete Absence From Test or Examination

Student athletes will be provided make up examinations on campus if an exam is missed due to a scheduling conflict caused by athletic competition.

The Department of Physical Education, Athletics and Recreation will notify instructors of all courses for which there is a scheduling conflict for an examination because of athletic competition as soon as the conflict becomes known. Arrangements to make up missed examinations will be be made between the instructor and the students.

back to top →

Study Abroad

Are there opportunities to study abroad?

Location: Office of International Programs (OIP)

Howe Center, 9th floor

Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday

Phone: 201.216.3518

The Office of International Programs coordinates the study abroad program at Stevens.  International experience can help individuals develop cultural awareness and broaden their perspectives. Stevens offers its students diverse opportunities for study abroad such as semester exchanges with our global partners, semester programs with affiliated programs and universities, as well as short term opportunities led by Stevens’ faculty. New exchange partners for engineering and computer science students include Universidad Pontificia Comillas in Madrid, Spain and Beijing Institute of Technology in Beijing, China. Students in other majors may study on exchange at the University of Amsterdam. Students have recently studied engineering in Cyprus and Ireland, conducted research in the Netherlands, taken a Stevens’ Sustainability course in Madrid, Spain, and spent five days visiting companies and cultural sites in London. Whether you study abroad for a few weeks or an entire semester, there is no better way to expand your worldview and develop the skills to tackle global issues. Drop by our office and Explore the World!

back to top →

Transfer Students

For more information on how to apply to Stevens, please visit the Office of Admissions Transfer Student Section.

How do I get an advisor? When should I fill out a Study Plan? What is the maximum number of credits that I can transfer in to Stevens towards my degree?

Students who are transferring into Stevens into the Engineering curriculum and are undecided about their Engineering concentration are assigned a Freshman Faculty Advisor upon their arrival at Stevens. These students must complete a Study Plan with their concentration advisor during the semester prior to taking their first concentration elective. The student selects a concentration advisor from the list published each semester by the Registrar's Office; a copy also appears on the Office of Undergraduate Academics website. All other transfer students are assigned their concentration advisors upon arrival at Stevens, and must complete a Study Plan during their first semester. Students can transfer in at most 50% of their required graduation credits; to get a Stevens degree, at least 50% of the required graduation credits must be taken at Stevens.

back to top →

Transferring Courses to Stevens

Can I take a course at another school and get credit for a Stevens course?

A student wishing to get credit for a Stevens course by taking the course at another school should complete the Application for Transfer Credit request process in Workday. When the student completes the course at the other school, they should have an official transcript sent to Stevens. A grade of C or better is required for the course to be acceptable for transfer for an undergraduate degree. While at Stevens, students may transfer in no more than two humanities courses from U.S. colleges and upper level humanities can only be transferred from four-year colleges. Students can transfer in at most 50% of their required graduation credits; to get a Stevens degree, at least 50% of the required graduation credits must be taken at Stevens.

Grades from a course taken at another school are not recorded or used in computing a student's GPA. The only exception to this occurs when a student receives transfer credit for a course the student has attempted at Stevens previously. In this case, a grade of C is used for that course in the student's GPA computation regardless of the actual grade received either at Stevens or at the other school.

Transfer of Online Courses

Online courses offered in another school can be considered for transfer only if the equivalent/similar course is offered at Stevens online.

Can I receive transfer credit for college-level courses I took during high school?

Students who have taken courses deemed "college level" by their high school, or for which they have received credit at a particular college may be considered for transfer credit under the policy outline below.

For college courses taken at the college campus:

For courses taken at the high school for which a college is giving credit:

  • the course has to be taught by faculty from the college which is offering the course

  • the course cannot be used to meet high school graduation requirements (no double counting)

  • the course must be approved for transfer by the appropriate Stevens academic department via Application for Transfer Credit (list of department faculty who review the Application for Transfer Credit).

  • a grade of A- or better in the course is required.

back to top →

Tutoring Services/The Academic Support Center

How can I get a tutor?

Tutorial help is available at no charge through the Academic Support Center. Students may request a tutor by completing an on-line request form on the Academic Support Center's website. ASC Tutoring is offered for technical courses only. For help with writing assignments & Humanities courses, please visit the Writing & Communication Center located in Morton 210.

back to top →

Visiting Students

Can students from other institutions take courses at Stevens?

Students from other institutions may take courses at Stevens as visiting, non-matriculated students if they have at least a 3.0 overall GPA at their institution and the Office of Undergraduate Academics determines that they have satisfactorily completed the appropriate prerequisite courses for any course they wish to take.

back to top →

WebCampus Course Policy for Undergraduates

Undergraduate students may, with junior standing and the permission of their advisor, enroll in up to two online web courses per semester.  Students with a 3.2 or higher GPA may take a third web course.  These classes are counted as part of the student's regular semester credit load for purposes of computing overload charges, if any apply.  Students wishing to take more than two (or three with a GPA of 3.2 or higher) online web courses require the permission of the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Academics, and will incur additional charges at the undergraduate per-credit tuition rate for these classes regardless of whether or not they exceed the credit-load limit.  Undergraduates are not permitted to enroll in the Winter or Spring 2 WebCampus semesters.

back to top →

On-Line Graduate Courses

See Graduate Courses.

Any questions, see Dean Erol Cesmebasi.

back to top →

Withdrawing from a Course

See Change of Enrollment.

back to top →

Withdrawing from Stevens

A student who withdraws from Stevens no longer plans to continue his/her education at Stevens. Students seeking to withdraw from Stevens should complete a withdrawal request through Workday. Please visit the Office of Undergraduate Academics on the 9th floor of the Howe Center if you have any questions.

Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid for questions regarding the impact a withdrawal will have on loans and/or scholarships.